Sunbathe at the beach or rest in the king-size bed in the Percy Shelley room. The bathroom is depicted to look like you are walking on a sandy beach and pictures an umbrella over the tub, so you don’t get a sunburn! With direct access to the porch. What more could one want on vacation?
(1792-1822) Although he died before he was 30, the English lyric poet Percy Bysshe Shelley created masterpieces of Romantic poetry. Among them are such lyrics as ‘The Cloud’, ‘To a Skylark’, and ‘Ode to the West Wind’. The critic Matthew Arnold characterized Shelley the reformer as “a beautiful and ineffectual angel, beating in the void his luminous wings in vain.” His poetry became the vehicle for his idealism. William Godwin’s book, ‘An Enquiry Concerning Political Justice’ profoundly affected Shelley while he was at school. The ideas inspired in Shelley by the book were expressed in his poem ‘Queen Mab’, written in 1813, and in his desire to effect reform in the world. In 1818 Shelley left England for Italy. There he wrote the works that represent his greatest achievement as a poet. His long tragedy ‘The Cenci’ (1819); the lyrical drama ‘Prometheus Unbound’ (1820); and his elegy on the death of John Keats, ‘Adonais’, were all written during this period.
- King bed
- Porcelain jetted tub with European handheld shower
- Original sink and faucets
- Exclusive access to one of 2 private porches
- Monogrammed bathrobes
- Warm bathrobes available upon request
- Bath bombs
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Gilchrist and Soames bath amenities
- Complimentary high-speed wireless internet throughout the room and common areas
- Flat Screen TV
- CD Player
- Ice bucket with 2 wine glasses
- Corkscrew opener
- Iron and ironing board
- Wake-up service
- Daily housekeeping service (Year-Round)
- 24-hour access to complimentary drinks- hot chocolate, hot tea, and coffee
- Access to our public library for our guests only. Check out each book is necessary at the front desk
- Located on the 4th floor
- Free off-street parking (Sept. 1st- June 20th)
The Spencer Hotel & Spa is the #1 rated Chautauqua, NY hotel on TripAdvisor, and the best place to stay for those visiting to enjoy the Chautauqua Institution’s year-round programming. Imagine hearing your favorite speaker or the symphony play while relaxing in comfortable chairs on our porches overlooking the Amphitheater. Our guests enjoy the perfect location and modern conveniences within a whimsical literary-themed setting that encourages relaxation and renewal, including:
- The only building on campus with a full-service elevator
- The only hotel on campus with central air conditioning
- Central location allowing only our guests the ability to hear everything in the Amphitheater from our porches
- For those who love the lake, our location provides a 1 block walk
- On-site restorative cedar sauna
- 3 Course hot home-cooked breakfast served daily is included in the room
- Wine bar available 24-hours
- Use of parlor with fireplace, easy chairs, loveseats, and projector
- 4 stories of porches with tables and chairs for all
You may sit on ANY porch at any time! Your place on the porch is waiting!
Occupancy: This room accommodates 2 people
Bed Size: King bed
*Please note, during the Chautauqua Summer Season (the last Saturday in June through the last Saturday in August) rooms are rented by the week, from Saturday to Saturday. We are open year-round and welcome 2-nights during the rest of the year.
Full-week stays during the 9-week Chautauqua Season includes breakfast every day. The Spencer can also assist guests in arranging travel insurance to cover unforeseen circumstances that may cause a guest to cancel their reservation.