Spain awaits you as you vacation in the Pablo Neruda room complete with direct porch access. The earth tone colors and claw foot bath tub and shower is a favorite amongst Spencer guests.
Chilean poet, diplomat, and Marxist, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971. Adopted the name Pablo Neruda legally in 1946 after using it for 20 years as a writer. – Neruda is the most widely read of the Spanish American poets. From the 1940s his works reflected the political struggle of the left and socio-historical developments in South America, but he also wrote love poems. Neruda’s Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair (1924) have sold over a million copies since it first appeared.
Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto (Pablo Neruda) was born in Parral, a small town in central Chile. His father, Don José del Carmen Reyes Morales, was a poor railway worker and mother, Rosa Basoalto de Reyes, was a schoolteacher, who died of tuberculosis when Neruda was an infant. Don José Carmen moved with his sons in 1906 to Temuco, and married Trinidad Candia Marvedre. Neruda started to write poetry when he was ten years old. At the age of 12, he met the Chilean poet Gabriela Mistral, who encouraged his literary efforts. Neruda’s first literary work, an article, appeared in 1917 in the magazine La Manana. It was followed by a poem, ‘Mis ojos’, which appeared in 1918 in Corre-Vuela. In 1920 he published poems in the magazine Selva Austral, using the pen name Pablo Neruda to avoid conflict with his family, who disapproved his literary ambitions. From 1921 he studied at the Instituto Pedagógico in Santiago, where he studied the French language. In 1924 Neruda gained international fame as a writer with VEINTE POEMAS DE AMOR Y UNA CANCÍON, which is his most widely read work.
- King bed
- Porcelain claw foot tub with shower
- Original sink and faucets
- Exclusive access to one of 2 private porches
- Monogrammed bathrobes
- Warm bathrobes available upon request
- Bath bombs
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Gilchrist and Soames bath amenities
- Complimentary high-speed wireless internet throughout room and common areas
- Flat Screen TV
- CD Player
- Ice bucket with 2 wine glasses
- Corkscrew opener
- Iron and ironing board
- Wake-up service
- Daily housekeeping service (Year-Round)
- 24-hour access to complimentary drinks- hot chocolate, hot tea, and coffee
- Access to our public library for our guests only. Check out each book is necessary at front desk
- Located on the 4th floor
- Free off-street parking (Sept. 1st- June 20th)
The Spencer Hotel & Spa is the #1 rated Chautauqua, NY hotel on TripAdvisor, and the best place to stay for those visiting to enjoy the Chautauqua Institution’s year-round programming. Imagine hearing your favorite speaker or the symphony play while relaxing in comfortable chairs on our porches overlooking the Amphitheater. Our guests enjoy the perfect location and modern conveniences within a whimsical literary-themed setting that encourages relaxation and renewal, including:
- The only building on campus with a full-service elevator
- The only hotel on campus with central air conditioning
- Central location allowing only our guests the ability to hear everything in the Amphitheater from our porches
- For those who love the lake our location provides a 1 block walk
- On-site restorative cedar sauna
- 3 Course hot home cooked breakfast served daily is included in the room
- Wine bar available 24-hours
- Use of parlor with fireplace, easy chairs, loveseats, and projector
- 4 stories of porches with tables and chairs for all
You may sit on ANY porch at any time! Your place on the porch is waiting!
Occupancy: This room accommodates 2 people
Bed Size: King bed
*Please note, during Chautauqua Summer Season (last Saturday in June through the last Saturday in August) rooms are rented by the week, from Saturday to Saturday. We are open year-round and welcome 2-nights during the rest of the year.
Full week stays during the 9-week Chautauqua Season includes breakfast every day. The Spencer can also assist guests in arranging travel insurance to cover unforeseen circumstances that may cause a guest to cancel their reservation.