Charlotte and Wilbur have nestled in this corner room that is surrounded by rose trellises. You must look for them carefully as they are hiding in the barn!
“Writing for children is usually regarded as a separate form of madness. I came to it by accident and stayed with it when it proved to be much like other kinds of writing–hard work, followed by pleasing rewards. The character Stuart Little appeared to me in a dream one night when I was traveling by rail. A writer is always grateful for small favors and I recall that I jotted down fragments of the tale next morning. I had no intention of writing a book for children, however, and the thing merely grew, by slow stages, over a period of about twelve years. Storytelling does not come easily or naturally to me; I am more of a commentator than a spinner of yarns.
As for Charlotte’s Web, it came about as a result of my close association with animals in a barn. This barn, with its creatures and its swallows, has always been a place where I have felt at peace, and I deliberately tried to bring it to life in a story for youngsters. Many of the characters are taken right from life, including the pig and the spider. The tragedy of animal death by murder, which always haunts a farm, haunted me and I guess I was trying to write my way out of the dilemma in the story of Charlotte, and with her able assistance……..” E. B. White
- King bed
- Private bathroom with neo-angled shower
- Original sink and faucets
- Exclusive access to one of 2 private porches
- Monogrammed bathrobes
- Warm bathrobes available upon request
- Gilchrist and Soames bath amenities
- Complimentary high-speed wireless internet throughout room and common areas
- Flat Screen TV
- CD Player
- Ice bucket with 2 wine glasses
- Corkscrew opener
- Iron and ironing board
- Wake-up service
- Daily housekeeping service (Year-Round)
- 24-hour access to complimentary drinks- hot chocolate, hot tea, and coffee
- Access to our public library for our guests only. Check out each book is necessary at front desk
- Located on the 3rd floor
- Free off-street parking (Sept. 1st- June 20th)
The Spencer Hotel & Spa is the #1 rated Chautauqua, NY hotel on TripAdvisor, and the best place to stay for those visiting to enjoy the Chautauqua Institution’s year-round programming. Imagine hearing your favorite speaker or the symphony play while relaxing in comfortable chairs on our porches overlooking the Amphitheater. Our guests enjoy the perfect location and modern conveniences within a whimsical literary-themed setting that encourages relaxation and renewal, including:
- The only building on campus with a full-service elevator
- The only hotel on campus with central air conditioning
- Central location allowing only our guests the ability to hear everything in the Amphitheater from our porches
- For those who love the lake our location provides a 1 block walk
- On-site restorative cedar sauna
- 3 Course hot home cooked breakfast served daily is included in the room
- Wine bar available 24-hours
- Use of parlor with fireplace, easy chairs, loveseats, and projector
- 4 stories of porches with tables and chairs for all
You may sit on ANY porch at any time! Your place on the porch is waiting!
Occupancy: This room accommodates 2 people
Bed Sizes: King bed
*Please note, during Chautauqua Summer Season (last Saturday in June through the last Saturday in August) rooms are rented by the week, from Saturday to Saturday. We are open year-round and welcome 2-nights during the rest of the year.
Full-week stays during the 9-week Chautauqua Season includes breakfast every day. The Spencer can also assist guests in arranging travel insurance to cover unforeseen circumstances that may cause a guest to cancel their reservation.